Staying Home is Work, Too





This is the first year that I have been able to stay home with the kids. My teacher friends are back into the swing of things, and I am so grateful that I am not. I am on an entirely different set of swings! What did I think stay-at-home-mom was? I am not really sure. But it sure is lots of work... good work... and lots of adjustment! It takes some getting used to... actually staying at home. I do miss the daily interaction with adult friends and the structure of a work day. But this is my chance to invest in my children at home. So, we have fun reading books, playing with toys, using our imaginations to create. Avery and I have picnics on the family room floor. Mary Hannah is learning sign language. All of a sudden, errands have become opportunities for me to teach. Avery has learned what we buy at a grocery store and what we do at a bank. It is the daily interaction with my children that thrills me now. Within one week Mary Hannah started crawling, eating solid foods and drinking from a cup.Not huge milestones, but they are the joys that I am witnessing. What a blessing!


I love to work on projects like cleaning out closets and organizing the tupperware. Why? Because I never had the time nor the energy to devote to such a task while I was working. It is almost a privilege. A privilege that my ministry is to my family... and that I can take care of even the finest details in our home. Not that anyone is really looking, but it makes me feel good. Now I can take advantage of naptime to tackle projects both big and small and accomplish something in our house. Yes, I admit that sometimes I nap, too. But, hey, I think I am entitled to it!


There are several simple things in which I indulge while I am taking care of house and home. My favorite is Yankee Candles. There is something oh so soothing about a warm lit candle while I am busy busy busy. Favorite scents: Cranberry Chutney, Sun & Sand, Country Linen, Clean Cotton. I also love tea... Lipton Green Tea- Honey and Lemon. Now before you think I sound like an old lady, I think I'll just let you know that I also like to crank the stereo and dance - with or without the kids. One of my new favorites is Sean Kingston "Beautiful Girl." I also love to cook. I am always looking for quick and easy recipes. And I LOVE it when my husband comes home =)

3 comments:

Melissa*Elswick said...

Hey Emily! Glad you are adjusting to your new "career"...I can't wait!! Jon had breakfast with Chris this morning...he always enjoys meeting wth him! We'll have to do a date night soon..XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hey Em-
I just have to first say that I am so super happy for you that you are home with your family. Second, this IS your ministry, I was in my women's Bible Study not too long ago and a lady mentioned that she wanted prayer to stay on task even with the smallest things like ironing her husband or kids clothes, making breakfast and lunches and simply having everything put away. The reason she wanted this prayer was that she felt this was important for her loved ones to be able to get on with their day in their ministry. She feels if she doesn't do these things and they have too then she is keeping them from important time that they may be needed doing what God has called them to do or being where He has called them to be. So everything you do even in the small things are so important to the ministry that the Lord has given Chris. I hope this gives you a bit of encouragement as you face your days of the "little things." I know it helps me. I love ya and miss ya tons! Chrissy

Karen said...

I think I need to come over for a lesson on "How to Get the Kid(s) Napping or Occupied so I can Do Housework". I'm finding it VERY tough since James is now WALKING! Yes, I said WALKING everywhere! We need to get together SOON! Love ya!