Maybe I Scared Him?


Do you think that this could have scared my son from ever dressing up again? Maybe yes. He has never told me he was scared, but I do know he remembers my wig. He brought it up as we were discussing Halloween costumes this year. Sadly, he doesn't want to dress up at all...
C and E: "Avery, what would you like to be for Halloween?"
Avery: "Um, I am just going to be plain." (as he was shaking his head no)
C and E: "How about ..... (insert the many suggestions we gave)"
Avery: "I am just going to be plain."

Here's the happy family last year. We had a great time. Surprisingly people did not recognize me. Haha!



Although princesses and fairies are adorable, Mary Hannah went as a disheveled old woman. That was funnier. She had rollers in her hair, a bathrobe, and bunny slippers.



Avery went as Payton Manning. Chris loves the Colts. What can I say?


As far as what they'll wear this year, my last post revealed MH as Snow White. It is adorable, and MH LOVES it with a capital L!
But as for Avery, we were getting no where... that is until Mary Hannah revealed her costume and the crowd went wild. Once he realized the positive attention this could attract, that it wasn't really weird, and that people love kids in costumes, he started warming up to the idea. He immediately got out the pumpkin costume he wore 2 years ago ... not remembering that he had worn it two years ago...




He just knows it as Mary Hannah's costume because she likes to wear it around the house. This was a step in the right direction!

We saw this great costume at the Disney Store. Avery thought it was cool, but wasn't quite sure. We got it anyway... took it home, dressed him up, and posed the "happy" siblings. As you can see from their faces, both were a little freaked out! MH is crying because she doesn't want to hold Avery's hand. She is scared of his gloves! Avery is sad about the purple hat. I agree....




Wait a minute... we're cracking a smile.....


Ah yes, with one minor adjustment, we are all happy! No purple space hat and no gloves... MH felt comfortable to explore the costume and press the button to make Buzz' lights light up!

So with some luck and lots of positive reinforcement we will have a happy Buzz Lightyear for Halloween! The costume is now hanging high up in the closet, in a place easily seen but not easily reached. The desire to wear it is building... beacause absence makes the heart grow fonder!

2 comments:

Meredith K Beaupre said...

Dear, sweet Avery. Poor baby has know idea what he's in for with the Gossett's and their costumes. Should I send him copies of the pictures we took when we all picked you up in the airport? And if I do, should I tell him that all the costumes we were wearing were his grandmother's idea? And should I also tell him that the big blue Fred Flintstone (sp?) hat belongs to his Uncle Dave?
Your kids have no idea...... :)

Love you!
mere

Karen said...

I agree brody's mom... they have no idea! I've seen the craziness of the Gossett's over the years. There are stories upon stories to tell and LOTS of picture proof to back them up! ;o) So, I'm sure they'll get to hear all about it and experience it for themselves, too! =o)

On another note, I think we should try to get a picture of Avery and James together because I'm trying to buy a Woody costume off ebay for James to wear since he's really liking Toy Story right now.