My Family In the News

So I am sitting in my bed watching the presidential debate. I am waiting for the 11 o'clock news broadcast.

I spoke with my dad earlier in the evening and he said something about when he was at dinner, he talked with a newscaster. They were going to watch the debate together and then discuss his thoughts ... static static... watch the 11 o'clock news. "Wow!" I thought. "That's pretty cool. I wonder where they will be watching the debate?" .... and also, "That is quite a long time to be in a restaurant!"

Apparently, our cell phone connection was not great.

The first segment on the news is about the debate. BAM!!!! THERE'S MY FAMILY ON TV.... IN MY HOUSE... IN THE FAMILY ROOM!!! (Okay, so its not my house, but the house in which I grew up, so that still makes it my house. ) You can imagine my shock when they start the segment with something like "Here in the Gossett Household..." (that's my family). I giggled,"They said my name! Gossett!" Yep, in the family room, my mom, dad, and brothers all sitting around. Then I thought "I wonder if my mom made a cake?" If you know my mom, you know at least these two things:

  1. She is extremely hospitable.
  2. She makes fantastic cakes.
And my brothers were there. If you know them, then you know this:
  • There was probably coffee.
Well, its pretty funny the reaction I had when I saw my family. Much like a child who can properly identify a favorite character on TV. The excitement, the desire to run to tell everyone he knows, and the extreme smile that says "Hey Look! Aren't you proud of me?"

Well, yeah, I guess EXACTLY like a child ... I did properly identify my favorite characters on TV... so now I am telling everyone I know.


PS... I am smiling. Aren't you proud of me? MY family was on TV.

12 comments:

Karen said...

Did someone record this amazing event???? I want to see! I want to see!

Emmy said...

Sadly, no I did not. However, if you know my father, then you know that he is Mr. Info and he will figure out a way to get it!

The Cooks said...

Please let me know when your dad gets his hands on this!! I would love to see it!

Rachel said...

OHH I hope they had the yummy Chocolate cake your mom made for me twice in one week! (Shh...don't tell anyone that means I ate nearly two cakes in one week. I have been trying to blame my "babyfat" on Pearl still.)

Did you read Audrey Caroline's Bring the Rain Blog. Her husband was at the debate in the front row. One of the bald guys wearing a green shirt. He was supposed to ask a question but if he did I was already asleep.

Anonymous said...

dangit! i wish i had stayed on NBC after it was over but joel turned the channel! how neat, i want to see it!

Karen said...

ohhh... R.L., that chocolate cake her mom makes IS yummy! You are one lucky gal to have gotten TWO of them! Maybe when I have my next baby, I could convince her to make me a little mini-cake! =o) (Em, feel free to pass on this bit if info. =o)

Meredith K Beaupre said...

You guys are professionals, now. First the KFC commercial, now this! :)

I'm sure they did the Gossett name proud! And I'm betting there was a delicious cake and coffee involved!

Anonymous said...

It was a big surprise to all of us, as it unfolded by sheer coincidence. There was no time for a cake, but I did get the laundry off the family room sofa and light a few candles for "ambience". Ron did an incredible job of appearing knowledgable, intelligent and composed, I panicked in the background, the brothers made funny jokes. A memory!

Anonymous said...

you are too cute. hope your having a great, restful week.

Anonymous said...

oops that last one was from your sweet pastor!!!

Misty said...

is their a way to see it through Youtube or anything?? and yes, you are so right about your mom (of course)...she is HOSPITALITY and makes fabulous cakes (and food in general!). love and miss you all!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have seen that!