This day was not quite different from the rest. Just another day...
I spent all morning watching my baker make banana nut bread. It smelled so delightful, I could even smell it all the way in the East wing, which is quite a distance from our main kitchen. I most definitely made sure he added that oh-so-crumbly topping! It just wouldn't have been right without it. I was already worn out from that task, but managed to have my favorite tea flown in before the banana bread was too cool. My housekeeper was sure to have the kettle on so that I could enjoy it as soon as it arrived. I am so thankful to our pilot for making the trip. I simply couldn't have relaxed without it.
An hour and a half later, I was sitting out in our garden sipping Camomile Citrus tea and nibbling a fresh slice of that delicious banana nut bread. I am thinking that we should plant more roses. I love the ones that are climbing around the old columns around the guest house. I can see it in the distance. It looks so inviting. I hear the children giggling in the distance. They must be enjoying their music lesson. Well, its back to reading poetry before the Chef calls us for lunch.
It was so peaceful, I put off our normal Sunday photo shoot until tomorrow. Since she had some time on her hands, my photographer wandered back into the kitchen and snapped a few pictures for my blog.
_________________________
Okay Okay, maybe that isn't quite the way this Sunday has unfolded. But it sure would be nice.
Here's the real story...
Following the normal, yet fantastic morning chaos we were finally ready to leave the house. Mary Hannah had a bit of a fever, so we didn't go to church. It just wouldn't be fair to the others in the nursery. So we did some "simple" errands instead. PS... errands are seldom simple when the day starts in this way. Oh yeah, there was an impromptu baseball game going on as I am trying to rally the kids and exit the house. I have to intervene before the spatula and golf ball make contact with one another for an indoor homerun.
Like I wrote in a previous post, MH loves hats! Including batting helmets.
First stop, the library. I have to return my load of books and check out new ones. I would be approaching depression if I got yet another library fine. With the pressure of rising costs on everything from food to gas, and sadly NOT homes (I would like to sell mine), it would seem so sad if something that was intended to be free was no longer free to me! So to the library we go... The kids would love some new books to read, and I need to get books for my classroom. We are starting a new project about community heroes tomorrow.
Just our luck, the library is closed. We are a 1/2 hour early. Sigh.
Back to the car to head to my favorite market. Doris' has the best butcher and freshest produce at a fantastic price. After quite a while of choosing the best meats - chicken, stuffed pork chops, and sliced roast beef, freshly made veggie soup, chicken salad and tuna salad, and all sorts of fresh produce, we are ready to check out. Perfect! Just in time to meet Chris at home to make a delicious lunch. No such luck. My debit card is unreadable. Another sigh.
So we leave our cart of groceries with the embarrassing promise that I'd return. Its getting late now, definitley past lunch time. But we have to drive back home, pick up my husband who has just returned from church, feed the kids a quick McDonalds (they were NOT the least bit disappointed) except for the fact that the burger-makers forgot a very important item in MH's cheeseburger - the meat!, and return to the market to pay for the items. Ah, success FINALLY!
Back home, the tired kids settled into bed to take a nap, I deserve a moment. So, I broke out my girly tea cup and opened up a delectable store-bought banana nut bread. I do love my Mighty Leaf Chamomile Citrus tea. I got it in New Hampshire while we were on vacation. Its fancy.
And that's about how fancy it gets around here.
Oh yeah, and those pictures of the kids...I'll have to tell the housekeeper that she forgot to pick up the toys. But then again, I am the housekeeper and I just don't care. wink wink.

1 comments:
What a morning! Your recounting of your morning errands had me laughing, although I'm sure you weren't at the time! I also have to tell you, this summer Ben and I went to McDonalds and I got a cheeseburger. We made it all the way home when I realized I had no burger in my cheeseburger. What's up with that? Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your quiet moment of muffin and tea and rested in the afternoon! :)
Post a Comment