Froberg's Fruit and Vegetable Farm

I had never been to a farm to buy produce. In fact, I am having a hard time remembering if I have really been to a farm at all. But something about going to a "farm" instead of the grocery store is charming to me. So when I heard about Froberg's Fruit and Vegetable Farm I had to check it out. 


The open air warehouse style pavilion is cooled by large fans. The fresh produce is crudely displayed in mass quantities on old wooden tables. Handmade pricing signs dangle from string hung across the tables. The place has a country kind of charm. The people couldn't be any nicer. And the fried pies couldn't taste any better! 


Yes, they have fried pies! They are homemade right there at the farm. There must have been at least 20 flavors to choose from. Avery wanted something chocolate. Ah, a boy after his mother's own heart. We got the chocolate walnut buttermilk pie, so fresh it was still warm.  It was nothing to look at, but it sure was heavenly.  

Although this farm sells more than it actually grows on site, (apparently a common practice among on site markets) the produce is fresh and mostly comes from small farms across the country. Something about that feels so American to me. 



I liked my experience there. The kids did, too. We will visit Froberg's again soon. But not too soon, because those fried pies are too much to resist!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Huber's Farm in KY, beautifully clean and wholesome. A great outing for the kids as well, to be educated on the origin of their meals! We miss you so much on such days...love, Grandma & Grandpa

The Tucker 5 said...

Looks awesome!