A Brush with Fame ... or a Famous Person

Boston was very memorable: Paul Revere's house, the Italian Food (and attitude... read below)in the North End, canolli at Mike's Pastries, the not-so-free Freedom Trail (read below), and Extreme Makeover.
It was FREEZING cold!!!!! We were basically the only tourists walking the Freedom Trail and visiting the old cemeteries. I am sure that Boston is bustling with tourists in the Spring and Summer. But winter time was nice for us=) We followed the Freedom Trail through the "Little Italy" North End. However, when we approached the statue of Paul Revere in front of the North Church (famous for its role in Paul Revere's ride... the British are Coming....) we were stopped by a policeman who informed us that the Freedom Trail was closed. We laughed at the irony! To our great surprise and delight, they were filming a spot for Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Apparently they were in town. Sure enough, there was Ty, sans bullhorn, mounted atop a large black horse, dressed as Paul Revere. We laughed again. There was not a large crowd, no screaming fans. Just us crazy tourists following the red brick line in the very cold. We waited until they were done filming and went on our way.
At the recommendation of the policeman we had to have a cannoli at Mike's Pastry. We obliged. First with a stop at Bella Vista, an authentic Italian restaurant in the heart of the North End, complete with the Italian attitude. The waiter had the best chip on his shoulder. We should be so lucky to eat his food. It was all a part of the experience... we loved it!
I wish that I could include a sound byte of the Bostonian accent we heard all day long. It was very entertaining. We imitated it the rest of our trip. The most overused expression in Boston: "Oh my g*d! " If you have been there, you know.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Where are the pictures??? =o) We want to SEE picture proof of Ty Pennington dressed as Paul Revere on the Freedom Trail! Come on, cough up the pictures! =o)

Anonymous said...

Em...I am so happy that you and Chris had such a wonderful time together on your winter vacation. I was very entertained reading your blog. I am moved to tell you that I think you would be a great writer. I think you could produce some page turners. Anyway, very entertaining as I said and I am so glad that you two got to just be you two. I know I wouldn't trade family life with kids for anything as I know you wouldn't but those times when you can just focus on each other are irreplaceable and unforgettable. Now back in the routine of things you can sometimes take a 30 second daydream and reflect on those moments. I know I do. Anyway, thanks for sharing I seriously enjoyed! Love ya Chrissy