I learned A LOT from my mommy ... and I thought about that last night as I was taking care of my sick daughter.
I was holding MH's hair back when she was throwing up. She asked me to rub her back. Then she needed to be held. I whispered softly while she was gripping the toilet in her tiny little hands, "Its okay, Mommy is here." I remembered how my mom would talk calmly to me, hold me, rub my belly, and sit with me as I was sick.
I thought of my mom in the middle of the night as I changed MH's sheets. I helped her to the bathroom, wiped her little mouth, put her in new PJs, then laid her on the floor as I gave her a fresh bed. I have a very strong memory of my mom helping me like that. And when I was sick, being taken care of was the best part. I remember the comfort I felt lying half asleep on the floor. I was sick, tired, and in need of help ... but not the least bit worried or scared. I probably fell fast asleep before my mom was able to get all 4 corners of the fitted sheet to stay in place!
Now, I'm the mom who changes the sheets and lysols everything in sight. And I jump at every little noise I hear in the middle of the night when one of my children is sick. I am the one who is hopelessly tired in the morning after such unpleasant events. Now I'm the mom ... which means I pray! I pray for my sick kids to be healed, and for everyone to have rest.
Mercifully, God healed her from whatever stomach bug she had. And I know it was God ... because I prayed and told him I knew all about Job and how he allows his children to be touched, bothered ... so I told Him that I knew he could also stop it. And, mercifully, He did!
This week has been the busiest ever for Chris. He has been at the East Campus for most of the week, coming home only to sleep a little and go right back. Its a very big week for him. The kids and I were having a great time enjoying each other and playing around town until Captain Stomach Bug came about. Satan was trying to steal my contentment and give me something to gripe about. Also, something to disrupt our calm home and distract Chris or make him feel badly that I am taking care of a sick child while he has to be away. Well, I was NOT going to have any of that mess. So I talked to God about it and He heard me.
And when God answers prayer, we are supposed to tell about what God has done instead of a mediocre nod ...like a "Yeah, by the way, thanks for that. .. I deserved it." I believe God still heals. And I am so thankful for it!
Now I'm The Mom ...
Thursday, August 19, 2010 | Posted by Emmy at Thursday, August 19, 2010
Labels: FAITH, MH, New Hope Church, Stay at home Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This made me teary! I too have great memories of a Mama taking care of me. So glad MH is better. Thank you Jesus for being The Healer and for Emily to recognize this! Thank you Lord that you empower her to be a strong Mom even when she is weak & tired. And that she is an awesome wife who doesn't give in to Satan's schemes to wreck havoc on our marriages. May you share this with other Mom's and let His light shine through you!
So glad you rely on the Lord for your balance and strength...and that you have good memories of being taken care of when YOU were the child. I love you so much!!! Mom
Post a Comment