Beating The First Day Blues

Sometimes moms have a tough day when a child starts Kindergarten.  I call it "The First Day Blues." Well, I've got some ideas to make mom's day MUCH BETTER and it, surprisingly, does not involve a pedicure... although now that I think of it, is not a bad idea....
I digress...
Turn your frown upside down by planning your very own First Day of School Party. Spend the day planning the festivities instead of drowning the My-Baby-Is-All-Grown-Up sorrows in Death By Chocolate. Before you know it, it will be time to pick 'em up from school and your house will look like a ton of fun. You may remember this post from Avery's first day of Preschool last year.

After leaving the parking lot, put the tissues down and get to it! You'll make 3 stops. Party Store, Bakery/Grocery Store, Library.

First stop: Library/Bookstore:
Depending on the budget, you may want to check out several school themed books for your child, or you can visit your local bookstore to buy one as a special Back To School gift.


At the Party Store, grab the following:
Balloon Bouquet


Plates, napkins, tablecloth

Hanging Garland
Banner Kit to create "First Day Of School"
Table Centerpiece


Next stop: bakery/grocery store

Cupcakes!
Ask the baker if they have any school themed toppers. My bakery had red apples. PERFECT!

Drop off your goodies at home. Decorating is a snap. Set up your decor around your kitchen table. Hang the garland, set up the banner. Place the balloons so they are easily seen but not in the way. Display your library books. When you are all set, head to Starbucks drive-thru then off to get a pedicure before joining the long line of moms just like you who are excited to welcome home their Kindergarteners!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

that's awesome Emily! I'm going to look for some of those books at the library today. We are baking a cake for the kids today.

I had a much rougher time letting Jude go to school! Good thing I had on waterproof mascara :)

Kara Prater said...

Hey Emily! I am Kara Prater and you commented on a link from Leading and Loving It so I tracked you down. :)
I am a stay at home mom, married to a jr high pastor, and have 3 girls! We've lived in League City for almost 8 yrs! What church are you guys a part of in Pearland? What do you think of TX? ;)

chris hughes said...

Uh, so you win the mom of the year award! I am married to the best gal evah!!!

monique said...

That is a great idea and you can really tell you used to be a teacher!! Wanted to ask you if you had any bottles that really worked for Avery and Mary Hannah. I am looking for bottles now and there are so many options I don't know what to get.

Thanks!!
Monique