Pumpkin French Toast

(fairy) Godmother requested the recipe for my pumpkin french toast. Let me tell you that it should really be considered a dessert, not a breakfast. It is sugary and delicious. Because I made it up, I didn't really measure anything. So I will list the ingredients and let you play with it. Please try it and let me know what you came up with!


Ingredients:
2 slices bread - Pepridge Farm Cinnamon swirl - cut with a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling - a delicious mixture to spread between the layers:
8 oz. whipped cream cheese
1 1/2 C. brown sugar (granulated sugar is okay, too)
1/2 c. canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)( add more if you'd like)
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (add as much or as little according to your taste)

French Toast Dip- after cutting the bread and spreading a generous layer of pumpkin cream cheese filling, dip the sandwich in this mixture before baking on the griddle.
2 eggs
1/2 C. cream or milk
1/2 T. vanilla extract
pinch pumpkin pie spice

butter for frying (real butter!)

Directions:

Make the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling by mixing all ingredients until well blended. Mixture should be creamy and fluffy. Set aside. Make the French Toast Dip and set aside. Preheat griddle. Cut the two slices of bread with a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter. (Not necessary, but absolutely novel). Spread a generous amount of pumpkin cream cheese filling on both pieces of bread. Put together to make a sandwich. Dip sandwich in French Toast Dip, making sure to coat thoroughly. Place in preheated buttered skillet, turning once. After it has cooked on both sides, top with real maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or get fancy with some heated caramel topping.

Let me know how you like it! I'd love to see some pics!

1 comments:

Emmy said...

Yes, that's right. I used the Libby's Pumpkin, not the Pumpkin Pie Filling. I am sure that you could use the pumpkin pie filling for a similar taste. If you do, let me know what you think!