Train Up A Child In The Way He Should Go...


I just have to say that the pressure is ramping up around here. My husband is a Vol. I am a Gator. Our kids are ... Gators, hopefully! Chris is trying to train them to be of a different persuasion. I will say that they currently have a healthy respect for both teams. But this weekend will be a HUGE test. On Saturday, the Gators and Vols square off in Knoxville. Who will they cheer for? The winning team, of course. (Ahem...That would be the Gators.) The good news is that I am taking the kids to my parents' house to watch the game.. free of any kind of orange and white influence. Papa will be wearing a polo with a Gator insignia, of course. I am sure that Uncle Dave, Tia, Uncle Tim and Aunt Brittany (a Seminole... booooooo!) will provide some positive reinforcement, complete with orange and blue pom poms. Hey ... its never too early to start!
And there really is some benefit for being Gator-friendly. Think college scholarship. We live in FL. The Bright Futures scholarship is granted to every high school senior who has a qualifying GPA and SAT score. It paid for my college. And I hope it will pay for theirs! Why fall in love with out of state tuition?????
I know. It just makes sense. So if you see my kids, I invite you to ask them to say "Gooooooooooo Gators!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am calling child protection services. You should be reported for this.

Emmy said...

Yes, a Vol in the house is something to be concerned about!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the kids will learn the difference between the Gators and the Vols just like multi-lingual kids know which language each family member speaks... or maybe they'll go to UGA.

Also, boo for Seminoles Football, but yea! for Brittany. Her Bachelor's in Poli. Sci. with minors in History and Social Science is a whole lot more in three years than I did at UF in four.

I suppose Brittany and I will be facing the same issues with our kids every Thanksgiving.

Karen said...

You won't hear any Cochrane encouraging the Gators rant (uh, I mean chant)... =oP But we still love you guys despite your misguided ways! =o)

Emmy said...

Here Here for Aunt Brittany! She has made many wonderful choices in her life. Even going to Florida State was not a bad one! But cheering for the Noles is a whole 'nother thing!

We love her TONS... I wonder if the kids will pick up on her garnet and gold hues???

Anonymous said...

...and when they are old enough, they will clearly see the better choice, and decide for themselves to go to UF. Which brings me to this thought--how long should we hold onto the condo in Gainesville? It's almost on the register of Historic Places in Florida.
Our fam has representation from Miami, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Knoxville, West Virginia and even locally, Nova University Law School. It's a horse race!Gentlemen--place your bets!

Anonymous said...

...and speaking of rivalries, please tell your sweet husband that Gators is ALWAYS spelled with a capital G, and the same goes for The Swamp. Thank you very much. I hope he enjoys the trip to TN and cries all the way home.