Twas Awesome!

Last night Chris and I had a great date! We went to a concert in West Palm Beach. I knew who we were going to see as the headliner, but I didn't know who the opener would be.



As I was listening to the first group I was thinking they sounded quite familiar.... sure enough, it was One Republic. They play one of my fav songs on the radio, "Apologize." They knocked it out of the park.


Then it was on to the big show.




It was John Mayer's turn. He was pretty much unbelievably awesome! Chris and I had such a fun time together.





This was my first big time secular concert since... well, NKOTB. For real NKOTB, not the re-run tour. (Which I would like to attend, by the way.) The lights, the crowd, the quality... it was all very enjoyable. Speaking of the crowd... Did you know that everyone has their own concert personality? Oh yes, they do. Next time you are at a concert check out how others are enjoying themselves. This is my concert personality profile:

I am a stander. A group stander, not a loner. I love watching the action. However, I am mindful of those behind me. You won't catch me as the lone stander who is ignoring all the boos and requests from fellow concert goers to "Just Plant It, Lady!"

I am not a sitter-complainer. There was a couple beside me who fit this profile nicely. While everyone was standing grooving to the music they were sitting and mumbling about how much everyone else in the amphitheater was making them mad. Hello, just like John Mayer sings "Welcome to the real world! (ha... nice placement of lyrics, right? )

I am a mild dancer. I can get my groove on. I love to dance. But just as I am not a lone stander, I am not a hands-in-the-air swayer. Unless, of course, I'm waving my hands in the air like I just don't care.

I am not a singer or an air guitarist/drummer. Some people love to belt out the lyrics or play like they're in the band. Not me.

I am not a story teller. Concerts tend to bring out the weird in people. Some people love to tell how they are somehow connected to this guy, or how they are steps away from fame. Others love to tell about the good old days when they were in a band . And of course, these stories are a bit loud so that all the people around them will be impressed.

I don't do "Sky Beer." What is Sky Beer, you ask? Its a term I coined last night for all the people who would raise their longnecks and clear plastic cups, overflowing with foam, of course, into the air while cheering for John Mayer. I didn't even raise my red PowerAde... but I did cheer. I loved the show!

I am intrigued. I have a lot of questions about what goes on behind the stage, the innerworkings of what it really takes to put on a concert, and how the performer feels before his debut. Nervous? Tired? Just another day on the job? Excited? Does he pace the halls and listen to his inspirational tunes on his iPod or is he backstage playing XBox? Before it all began, I did find myself asking Chris "What do you think John Mayer is doing right now?" As if Chris would really know... but I thought maybe there was a chance since he too plays the guitar in a band and sings...Nope, he didn't know.









We noticed something about ourselves as we were there.... we are old. We have kids, had a babysitter, and needed to leave early to get home to them. So we left before the concert was over. The good news is that it left me wanting more... so I will return! We decided that we are going to start a "FFF." What? A Front Row Fund. Hey, and we'll even throw in the backstage pass. Why not? If you're gonna do something, why not do it the BEST you possibly can?

Thanks, Chris for a great date. What concert do you want to go to next???

4 comments:

Ben and Erin said...

Sounds awesome! I love both John Mayer and One Republic. I've heard they are both great live! What a fun date night! I also liked your description of all the types of concert goe-ers. It's been awhile since I've been to a concert, but I can picture a lot of those types of people! :)

The Cruzers said...

Em - Great blog! Nice breakdown of the different concert personalities. My personal quirk during concerts is that I yell, "Play some Skynyrd, man!" no matter who's performing. It just feels right. We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

how awesome! i wanted to go to that concert so bad but just couldn't make it. john (yes, we are on a first name basis) puts on a great show and one republic is a great opener!!

The Cooks said...

Really? No secular concert since NKOTB?! John Mayer should be honored! I love your blog, its fantastic! Love, Teresa! :)