My son is not a baby anymore. When did that happen? He is 3 and 3/4 years old, tall for his age, talks a lot (from where did he get this characteristic???), and has a very active imagination. He is kind to everyone and is quite generous, too. He really wants to please Chris and me, so he is quite obedient. We had some visitors on Christmas day. He was the best host. Upon meeting them Avery said, "Welcome to my home. We have anything you need." Everyone in the room burst into laughter. Yep... that's Avery!
Avery was only 22 months old when I had Mary Hannah. He adjusted very well. Having a new sister was just fine with him. When she was an infant, he would occasionally check on her - stop by to give a kiss or two- and then get back to whatever project had his attention.
I got to stay home with both of them for about a year and a half. It was some of the best time ever spent! While MH was napping, Avery and I would homeschool... a very relaxed version. He learned his alphabet and the sounds the letters made. We were very into LeapFrog DVDs, which also taught some blends, punctuation, beginning reading skills, and even some basic math.
Its Christmas break. That means it is two weeks that I get to spend at home cooking, cleaning, and enjoying time with my family. So, for the first time in awhile Avery and I did some "homeschool" while Mary Hannah was napping.
Today was a big day for my son. He read a book! Actually, he read 3 books!!!! This was the first time we had tried something like this. He did so well. Avery far exceeded my expectations. Thanks to the example of my friend Rachel (lots of great things come from her!), we invested in some "BOB Books." (I highly recommend them!)
Avery was really proud of his accomplishment. He wanted to take his books to class at church tonight and show all his friends. This was the conversation:
Avery: "Mommy, I want to take my books to my class. The teacher can help me read. Then everyone will clap for me because I did a great job."
Em: "Ok, then. We need to practice. Which book would you like to read to the class?"
Avery: I am fine. I don't think I need practice."
Maybe a bit too confident at this point. But I like it. I hope he keeps up the enthusiasm. And I will keep the bribes coming if I have to. I want reading to be enjoyable and not a chore. So we won't push it. Afterall, he is really young, and reading is not a necessity at this point. But I am really proud of my little big boy. I can't belive how he has grown in such a short time!



2 comments:
Yeah Avery way to go! Clap, cla, clap!!!
Wow! Reading already. Nice job Avery!
Post a Comment