Simple and Sweet Mother's Day


Its Sunday, a busy one in our house. Chris took our car to church, not to return until late this afternoon. The kids and I stayed home. (We are a one car family this week). Its a special day for me because I got to share breakfast with my children, a rare delight for a working mom. Its also Mother's Day, which makes today even more special. I wanted to celebrate this rare occasion by making something yummy. So I made a delicious breakfast for the kids and me to share: Apple Walnut Stuffed French Toast. It was a hit! I made up the recipe, based on a breakfast we had while visiting friends in PA. See the original recipe below. (I am proud of myself for this one!)




Before we ate, Avery prayed. In his own sweet words he said "Dear Jesus, Thank you for our food. Thank you that Mommy gets to stay home with us today. Amen." My heart absolutely melted! It was such an innocent prayer. He really just wanted to thank God that I could be with them. I was thankful, too. Ugh, seriously, I was total puddle! Only 4 more weeks until I am able to stay home with he and MH for good! 4 weeks and counting...

And as for my very busy husband, we are looking forward to celebrating Mother's Day together tomorrow. He has something up his sleeve and won't tell me. I love it when he does that! (Ok, well, I love it when he plans things, but I can't stand the secrets!!!)


APPLE WALNUT STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
*make ahead recipe, must refrigerate overnight*
Ingredients:
  • 1 loaf Pepperidge Farm Swirl Bread (I used Brown Sugar Cinnamon)
  • 1 block Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese (I used Neufchatel, its 1/3 less fat, and tastes the same to me)
  • 2 C. walnuts, chopped
  • 2 apples, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 C. brown sugar
  • 2 T vanilla extract
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 C. milk (I used Skim, but any kind would do... I bet my great grandma would've used canned evaporated milk, and that would taste even better!)
  • Cinnamon (just a dash)
  • Butter
  • Non stick cooking spray
Directions:
  1. Spray 9x13 pan with non stick cooking spray.
  2. Line bottom of pan with slices of bread until covered.
  3. Spread cream cheese over bread, making a thick layer. Use the entire block of cheese.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the diced apples, walnuts, and brown sugar until apples are coated. Spread evenly on top of cream cheese.
  5. Butter the remaining bread slices on both sides. Place them on top of apples.
  6. Get your hands dirty: press down the bread, squishing together the layers.
  7. In seperate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and a dash of cinnamon.
  8. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, enough to completely cover the tops and sides of the casserole. *You may not use all of the egg mixture. You be the judge.
  9. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
BAKE:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Remove the plastic wrap and cover with foil.
  3. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered another 30 minutes.
  4. Call Emily to tell her how much you LOVE this recipe. It is ok to go on and on describing how all of your guests loved it, too.

3 comments:

Kim said...

French toast is Drew's all time favorite! His birthday is coming up and I think I'll surprise him with your yummy recipe! Thanks! Glad you enjoyed your breakfast with the kiddos!

The Tucker 5 said...

Please make me some and bring it to school, TOMORROW!!!! Do it!!!

Ben and Erin said...

The french toast looks delicious and your presentation of it is beautiful too! Sounds like a great mother's day for you and Avery and Mary Hannah. Very special. Also, what a great mother's day date out with your hubby! What fun! I'm sure you had a great time together and getting to do your favorite things too. Ben has about 2 more weeks until he's out of school, although he does have to work a little longer into the summer with administration stuff....still, I can't wait for him to be on summer break. I know you are excited too! Have a great week. :)